If you are an individual or entity providing BAS Services in your own right for a fee or reward you are required by law to be registered as a BAS Agent.
Exceptions- You do not need to register as a tax or BAS agent if you are:
- An employee of an organisation that prepares business activity statements for their employer’s business
- An employee of a registered tax or BAS agent and you do not provide tax agent or BAS services in your own right
- A legal practitioner providing tax agent or BAS services as a legal service under a state or territory Legal Profession Act and do not prepare and lodge returns or return like statements such as: business activity statements, instalment activity statements, superannuation guarantee statements, pay as you go withholding payment summary statements
- A legal practitioner providing tax agent or BAS services as a legal service under a state or territory Legal Profession Act in the course of acting for a trust or deceased estate as a trustee or legal personal representative
- A customs broker licensed under the Customs Act 1901 providing a BAS service relating to imports or exports to which an ‘indirect tax law’ (as defined in section 995-1 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (ITAA 1997)) applies.
If you fall into the the above categories of providing a BAS Related Service, you will also be required to meet the following Qualification Obligations:
- Have been awarded a Certificate IV in Financial Services (Bookkeeping) or (Accounting) from a registered training organisation or equivalent institution, and
- Have successfully completed a Board approved course in basic GST/BAS taxation principles (which may be included in the Certificate IV).
OR Option 2:
- Have been awarded a higher award than a Certificate IV in the field of bookkeeping or accounting from a registered training organisation or equivalent institution (for example, a Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Degree), and
- Have successfully completed a Board approved course in basic GST/BAS taxation principles (which may be included in the higher award).
- Be at least 18 Years of Age
- Have 1,400 hours of relevant experience or if a member of a Professional Association, 1,000 hours
- Hold current Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Be a fit and proper person
- Pay the application fee
Please watch the attached video for more detail and feel free to contact us for more information about our Bookkeeping Services.